17 April 2008

Errare Homo Est (03-12-2007)

"Experience is the purest form of knowledge. Thus I seek to learn all things."*

Roughly a month ago I was watching a movie at an early screening with my good friend Bryan when an overwhelmingly strong thought materialized in my small, inadequate brain - it runs purely on caffeine and only recalls the most trivial minutiae at inopportune times. What occurred to me, even though it may seem rather obvious and instinctual, is that experience is the purest form of knowledge. No amount of studying, lecturing, or painful rote memorization comes close to actually experiencing something. The movie we happened to be watching stems from an utterly amazing television series that deals with human experience in quite an awesome manner (I use 'awesome' here with its original, intended definition and not the watered-down modern anachronism). I was so struck by this idea that I literally pulled out my moleskin notebook and wrote it down in the middle of the movie, and it has since provoked a rather lengthy philosophical meditation, which has proven quite effective at aiding my perpetual procrastination.

In my life, I have often learned things the hard way despite constant admonitions from various mentors, such as my parents. As an extremely cliché example, I once cracked my head open because I dove into the shallow end of a pool. Unfortunately, that was one of the least painful lessons I chose to learn the "hard way." Consequently, my belief that experience is the purest form of knowledge is reaffirmed by a plethora of autobiographical experiences. This leads me to the more philosophical aspect of this entry.

A recent paper I wrote for one of my Anthropology classes discussed the conflicting natures of science and religion. I concluded the paper by stating that the two are irreconcilable because the unification of physical and metaphysical truth would result in mankind's deification. Now assuming that God, or whatever supreme entity exists (if there is such an entity), s/he/it would presumably possess a pure knowledge of all things. Therefore by my logic, which is surely flawed, God/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Whomever has experienced all things. Now knowing what little I've learned and experienced during my infinitesimally short lifespan, I would hate to be omniscient. Perhaps it's just my pessimistic vantage point on life, but to experience all things seems rather agonizing. Regardless of all the true happiness one might experience, is it enough to overcome all the pain and suffering?

I guess after writing all of this, it seems rather pointless. The main philosophical question I'm posing is whether or not good is more powerful than bad/evil, and no question is more prevalent in any humanistic inquiry. Ergo, I apologize for anyone who has endured my inane digression.

(*a quote by the very unoriginal, non-thought-provoking writer T.J. Adams)

No comments: